at Southbridge Care Homes
Port Perry, ON, Canada -
|Start Date||Expiry Date||Salary||Posted On||Experience||Skills||Telecommute||Sponsor Visa|
|Immediate||09 Jun, 2023||Not Specified||11 Feb, 2023||N/A||Infection Control,Gerontology,Databases,Management Skills,Leadership,Compassion,Nurses,Adult Education,English,Written Communication,Computer Skills,Palliative Care,Quality Improvement,Information Systems||No||No|
Required Visa Status:
|US Citizen||Student Visa|
|OPT||H4 Spouse of H1B|
|GC Green Card|
|Full Time||Part Time|
|Permanent||Independent - 1099|
|Contract – W2||C2H Independent|
|C2H W2||Contract – Corp 2 Corp|
|Contract to Hire – Corp 2 Corp|
ATTENDING NURSE PRACTITIONER
The Nurse Practitioner practice is an interdependent practice in which the Nurse Practitioner works collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team, however, the scope of the NP’s practice will be beyond that of regular nursing care.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, WORK DEMANDS
- Current knowledge of clinical issues for geriatric residents, infection control, principles of adult education and quality improvement
- Knowledge of adult learning process, practices and techniques for facilitating adult learning
- Strong prioritization, organization and management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English
- Proficient computer skills including use of health care information systems and databases
- Ability to provide leadership including leading change
- Demonstrated analytical and research skills
- Demonstrates compassion in a courteous, caring and respectful manner towards residents, staff and visitors while maintaining resident confidentiality.
- Proof of current flu & COVID-19 vaccination
- satisfactory criminal record check with vulnerable sector screening will be required at own expense.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class (Primary Health Care or Adult) and entitled to practice with no restrictions and in good standing
- Long-Term Care experience, preferred
- Post-graduate education and experience in gerontology, preferred.
- Specialty certification in gerontological nursing, preferred.
- Post-graduate certificate and experience in palliative care, an asset.
- Member of RNAO preferred, member of NPAO required.
- Minimum of 3-year experience in adult/primary care setting as a NP an asset
- Proficient with computer applications.
IN ONTARIO, EXTENDICARE, PARAMED HOME HEALTH CARE AND AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS INCLUDING OUR PARTNER HOMES IN EXTENDICARE ASSIST, ACCOMMODATE THE NEEDS OF JOB APPLICANTS THROUGHOUT ITS RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION PROCESSES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE AND THE ACCESSIBILITY FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT. ACCOMMODATION NEEDS MUST BE PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. TO DISCUSS YOUR NEEDS, PLEASE CONTACT THE INDIVIDUAL NOTED IN THE POSTING.
- The Attending Nurse Practitioner (NP) reports to the Director of Care and is accountable to the Medical Director for meeting the Long Term Care Home’s (LTCH) policies, procedures, and protocols for medical services. The NP is a primary care provider to residents and works within her/his legislative scope of practice as described and outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- The NP collaborates with the resident and family/caregiver, and the health team in the development, implementation and evaluation of the residents’ plan of care; provides leadership and mentorship to LTCH staff that enhances their knowledge, assessment skills, and ability to care for residents in place; and leads and collaborates in research, education and evidence based practice initiatives to optimize the resident, LTCH and health systems outcomes.
- Maintains confidentiality and acts in an ethical manner, consistent with professional expectations, the written agreement between the NP and the LTCH, and the LTCH’s policies and code of conduct.
- Increases continuity of care through collaboration, consultation and referral as appropriate:
- Collaborates and consults with physicians, director of nursing, nursing staff, interdisciplinary team members and external resources regarding resident plan of care
- Assists, supports guides and provides consultation to the director of nursing, staff and interdisciplinary team members regarding challenging clinical situations.
- Makes referrals to specialized consultants, services and other health providers
- Accepts referrals from interdisciplinary team members.
- Plays a key role in all clinical programs, supports the registered staff and physicians to ensure efficient practice.
- Provides comprehensive primary care to residents as part of the interdisciplinary care team.
- Performs a person-centered health assessment of residents on admission, annually and as needed (including quarterly medication reviews)
- Conducts person-centered comprehensive health histories
- Collaborates with the resident & family to develop a person-centered plan of care.
- Engages with the resident in regular dialogue about their care plan.
- Utilizes communication and counselling skills.
- Engages resident in dialogue to determine what is important to them for health and quality of life.
- Provides person-focused health education
- Participates in care conferences
- Manages the care of residents by providing pharmacological, complementary and/or counselling interventions, and performs procedures within the NP scope of practice.
- Orders and/or performs appropriate screening and diagnostic investigations, interpreting results and assuming responsibility for follow up
- Prescribes pharmacological agents and therapeutic measures, collaborating with the physician(s) as necessary.
- Liaises with discharge planning services for hospitalized residents to ensure a smooth transition back to the LTCH.
- Participates in internal committee (e.g. Professional Advisory Committees, Quality Committee, Pain/Palliative, Skin & Wound, Falls etc.) as well as external committees.
- Provides leadership and involves the interdisciplinary team in quality improvement initiatives.
- Participate in research initiatives, identify and implement research-based initiatives to improve resident care.
- Participates in providing after hours and on-call coverage in accordance with the on-call policy of the home.
- Advocates for and provides palliative and end-of-life care.
- Accurately documents clinical data, assessment findings, diagnoses, plans of care, therapeutic interventions, residents’ responses and clinical rationale in a timely and accurate manner.
Pharma / Biotech / Healthcare / Medical / R&D
Palliative care an asset
Port Perry, ON, Canada